AHMAD FAROOQ MALIK
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- GONVILLE & CAIUS COLLEGE, UNIVERSITY OF CAMBRIDGE
Construction Law Summer School 2017
- ACADEMY OF EUROPEAN PUBLIC LAW, ATHENS, GREECE (AN EDUCATIONAL ESTABLISHMENT OF THE EUROPEAN PUBLIC LAW ORGANIZATION (EPLO).
Certificate in European Public Law 2013
- UNIVERSITY OF WEST OF ENGLAND, BRISTOL, Bar Vocational Course (Member, Honourable Society of Lincoln’s Inn) 1998-1999
- UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD, ENGLAND Bachelor of Laws, LL.B 1995-1998
- GOVERNMENT COLLEGE, LAHORE Bachelor of Arts, B.A. 1992-1994
|Advocate High Courts PakistanBarrister, England & Wales (non-practising)||2001
AFMalik Law- Attorneys & International Development Consultants
Managing Partner August 2018 to date
- Advising companies, partnerships and government departments on a wide range of legal matters.
- Head of the Litigation and General Practice at the firm.- IP Laws review and manual development under a USEF-PUAN grant to develop Intellectual Property Rights Tool Kit & Course for Punjab Incubators.
– Interests lie in Water Treaties & Policies, Urban Development Laws & Policies including infrastructure laws and policy.
- Work in partnership with Awais Law in legal drafting of subordinate legislation, 2020:
- 1. Advised upon and drafted amendments The Punjab Housing and Town-Planning Agency, Ordinance, 2002 for The Punjab Housing and Town-Planning Agency.
- 2. Advised upon Punjab Housing & Town-Planning Agency (Affordable Private Housing Schemes Rules) 2019 under the The Punjab Housing and Town-Planning Agency Ordinance, 2002.
- 3. Advised upon and drafted Complaint Handling and Dispute Resolution Rules 2020 under the Punjab Public Private Partnership Act 2019 for the Punjab Public Private Partnership Authority.
- 4. Advised upon and drafted the Applicability of the Punjab Public Private Partnership Rules 2020 under the Punjab Public Private Partnership Act 2019 for the Punjab Public Private Partnership Authority.
- 5. Advised upon and drafted the Members of the Punjab Public Private Partnership Disqualification Rules 2020 under the Punjab Public Private Partnership Act 2019 for the Punjab Public Private Partnership Authority.
- 6. Advised upon and drafted the Rolling Business and Annual Plan Rules 2020 under the Punjab Public Private Partnership Act 2019 for the Punjab Public Private Partnership Authority.
- 7. Advised upon and drafted the Punjab Public Private Partnership Unsolicited Proposal Rules 2020 under the Punjab Public Private Partnership Act 2019 for the Punjab Public Private Partnership Authority.
INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY OF PUNJAB (IDAP)
Chief Legal Officer April 2016- July 2018
Being the head of the Legal Department, Barrister Farooq used to oversee all transactional assignments in coordination with and assistance of the Legal and Procurement & Contracts Departments. All construction contracts (design, procurement, construction, commissioning and handover of the project) have been advised upon, drafted, reviewed and finalised following FIDIC and Pakistan Engineering Council Rules/Bye Laws. The major infrastructure development projects worked on are namely:
- Recep Tayyip Erdogan Trust Hospital Muzaffargarh, Pakistan (RTETH);
- Pakistan Kidney & Liver Institute and Research Centre, Pakistan (PKLI);
- Allama Iqbal Specialized Hospital Sialkot, Pakistan;
- Punjab Agriculture, Food & Drug Authority, Pakistan (PAFDA);
- Punjab Forensic Science Agency, Punjab, Pakistan (PFSA);
- Mother & Childcare Hospital Murree, Pakistan (MCCH);
- Jinnah Hospital Lahore, Pakistan;
- Information Technology University Lahore, Pakistan (ITU);
- Revamping of 40 District Head Quarters & Tehsil Head Quarter Hospitals in various cities/towns of Punjab, Pakistan (DHQ/THQ)
Legal Drafting Experience:
Drafted Infrastructure Development Authority Service Rules and Regulations for the Infrastructure Development Authority.
Advised upon and drafted amendments in The Infrastructure Development Authority of the Punjab Act, 2016
§ Reviewed the TORs for procurement of System Integrator and finalized the Agreement for System Integrator with a world-renowned IT company.
§ Reviewed the TORS for procurement of Hospital Management Information System and finalized the Agreement for HMIS with a Turkish company.
JUS & REM (Attorneys & Corporate Counsellors) 2012- 2016
Key Commercial / Corporate Matters:
§ Advised a Chinese company on setting up a Waste Water Treatment Project in Lahore under a public-private partnership with the Government Agency.
§ Advised and drafted opinion on the legal analysis of status, form and affairs of a major telecom corporation in Pakistan as a state owned entity or a non state owned entity and the implications of various prevalent laws.
§ Advised a major chemicals corporation on the transfer of title of its properties consequent to a Demerger order by the Court.
§ Advised upon and drafted legal notice for unauthorized publication of website contents for a large pharmaceutical company.
§ Advised upon and drafted legal notices for a distributor and dealer of world renowned cellular mobiles, a subsidiary of a U.A.E company and part of a U.A.E group companies.
§ Advised upon and drafted legal notices for a pesticides and insecticides manufacturer and seller, a subsidiary of a US Corporation. Also initiated various civil and criminal legal proceedings on behalf of the company.
§ Advised upon and initiated legal action on behalf of a paints manufacturer and seller, a subsidiary of a world renowned Norwegian company.
§ Advised upon IPR and initiated legal action on behalf of a Taiwan Corporation & its local authorized distributor, the largest manufacturers and dealers of motorcycle chains in Pakistan.
§ Advised and drafted the bid document etc for title sponsorship rights, presenting sponsorship rights, co-sponsorship rights, in stadia advertising rights and radio rights for series of three cricket matches against the Afghanistan u-19 team.
Legal Drafting Experience:
- Reviewed and re-drafted Punjab Information Technology Board Employees Service Rules, 2010 for Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB).
- Researched, Reviewed and Co-drafted Subordinate Legislation for Walled City of Lahore under the Walled City of Lahore Authority Act, 2012 on the following subjects:
- Powers & Function of Authority for Walled City of Lahore
- Master Conservation & Re-development plan
- Preparation of Schemes
- Declaration of heritage properties
- Zones of Special Value
- Conservation of Heritage Property
- Building and Land Use Control
- Restriction on Trade, Calling or Occupation
- Temporary and Permanent Acquisitions
- Registration of Owners and Occupants and Regulation of Transfer of Property
- Finance, Taxation, Accounts & Audit
- Appeal Rules
- Researched, Reviewed and Co-drafted Punjab Local Government (Parking) Bye-Laws, 2013 for the Lahore Parking Company Limited.
IRFAN & IRFAN (Attorneys-At-Law)
Associate/Senior Associate 1999 – 2002, 2008 – 2012
Key Commercial / Corporate Matters:
- Drafted and filed complaints before the Pakistan Office of Domain Name Dispute Resolution Centre pursuant to the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy adopted by the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers in respect of domain names hp.com.pk, gmails.pk, rediff.com.pk
- Advised and acted on behalf of Dell Asia Pacific Sdn Bhd, Malaysia and Dell Global B.V, Netherlands before the Securities Commission of Pakistan in regularising the corporate structure of the Pakistan Liaison Office.
- Advised and acted on behalf of Verizon Trademark Services LLC before the Securities Commission of Pakistan in successfully obtaining rectification orders against infringing the corporate name Verizon.
- Advised and drafted employment agreements for Palmchip Corporation Inc., and its subsidiary Palmchip Pakistan (Pvt) Ltd.
AITZAZ AHSAN & ASSOCIATES (Advocates & Corporate Consultants)
Senior Associate 2002-2007
- Acted as counsel preparing pleadings and arguing for Naseeb Networks (Pvt) Ltd backed by two Silicon Valley venture capital firms, ePlanet Ventures (ePlanet) and Draper Fisher Jurvetson (DFJ), in the first ever ‘source code theft’ case to reach the High Court of Pakistan.
- TJRP/Hala Moro Project in Afghanistan. Advised and litigated on behalf of EchoWest International’s (EWI) for projects of rehabilitation and construction in Afghanistan (TJRP) and construction of the national highway in Pakistan (Hala Moro) worth several billion rupees.
- Dumping Site Environment issue. The case concerned the removal of an intense environmental hazard presented by a 30 acres open garbage dump receiving a daily intake of 4000 tons of garbage and located approximate to a dense residential locality. Represented the residents of the affected area.
Reported Judgments & Publications
- Malik, A.F. & Malik, A.F. (2019), Intellectual Property Rights Course & Tool Kit for Business Incubators, Lahore: U.S. Embassy in Pakistan & Pakistan-U.S. Alumni Network. 2019
- Malik, A.F. & Malik, A.F. (2014), Peacebuilding & Conflict Management through Social Entrepreneurship Development Training Manual, Lahore: ICx Seplaa International.
- Asif Sehgal vs. National Accountability Bureau (PLD 2003 Lah 686). 2003
- Ahmad Abdullah vs. Govt. of the Punjab & others (PLD 2003 Lah 752) 2003
Workshops & Trainings 5 Days Training Workshop on ‘Community Leaders for Peace’ (Pakistan Peace Initiative) Sustainable Development Policy Institute, Embassy of Denmark DANDIA International Development Cooperation and Search for Common Ground Pakistan. Jan 2013
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS AND INTERESTS
|Languages: Fluent English/Urdu/PunjabiComputing Skills: Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, Legal Research|