Connect on Twitter
- Doctoral Candidate (2016-2021), Executive DBA (Executive Doctor of Business Administration), Business School Netherlands (BSN), Buren, Netherlands.
- LL.M. (Master of Law) 2008, University of London, U.K. (Areas of specialization: Company Law, Compensation and the Law, Criminology and Juvenile Justice)
- M.A. Political Science, 2004, University of the Punjab, Lahore.
- LL.B., (Law Undergraduate Course) 2002, University of the Punjab, Lahore. (With distinctions)
- B. A. 1997 , Kinnaird College for Women, Lahore (Economics, Statistics, French)
Short Courses attended:
- Executive Development Program ‘Change But No Change: Public Sector Dilemma’, Executive Development Institute at National School of Public Policy, Lahore 2015.
- Sustainable Development Policy Institute, Embassy of Denmark DANDIA International Development Cooperation and Search for Common Ground Pakistan. December 2012
- Leadership Development training at the American University in Washington D.C., conducted by Dr. Ruth Zaplin. April 2014.
- Leadership Development Training for Managers: Undertook a 10 Day Course conducted by the David & Lucile Packard Foundation at the Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS), Lahore. Course focus: Leadership, Management, Social Development, Decision Making, Project Development, Project Management and Report Writing. June, 2010.
- Special Law Course (1999) on ‘Skills Training & Comparative Family Law’ conducted by Dr. Werner F. Menski of SOAS University of London. (Awarded Certificate of Merit).
- Special Law Course (1998) on ‘Islamization of Laws in Pakistan’ conducted by Dr. Werner F. Menski of SOAS University of London, ( Secured 1st position)
- Active participation in a 2 day workshop on ‘Legal Research Methodology’ conducted by Ms. Julie Chadbourn at the Pakistan College of Law, 1997.
International Awards & Achievements:
- Only Pakistani selected to be part of the 6 member Ad Hoc Strategic Committee of the Upper Indus Basin Network, under ICIMOD Nepal and Australia Aid, with over 40 member organizations from 6 South Asian countries in Kathmandu, Nepal. (2018).
- Selected for the ‘Afghanistan- Pakistan Partnership Summit’ organized by the Hollings Center for International Dialogue in coordination with the U.S. Embassies in Islamabad and Kabul, held in Islamabad and Maldives in January 2017.
- Selected for and attended the US International Visitors Leadership Program (IVLP) for ‘Strengthening Communities’ held in Washington DC, Atlanta, Minneapolis, Salt Lake City and New Orleans, USA (April-May 2014).
- Only Pakistani who was awarded partial grant to present paper at the International Symposium of Peacebuilding organized by the New York University at the University of Duhok, Iraq. (2014).
- Shortlisted for the ‘Fatima Jinnah Woman of the Year Award’ for advocacy efforts to help start the first bone marrow transplant facility in Lahore, under Government of Punjab (award ceremony awaited, 2018).
- Shortlisted for the ‘Fatima Jinnah Women Excellence Award’ for contributions for the empowerment of women in Punjab, under Government of Punjab (award ceremony awaited, 2018).
As a Legal Practitioner:
Mrs. Ammara Malik is a High Court Advocate who has practiced as a corporate lawyer with Barrister Ahmad Farooq Malik (2001- 2004, 2009-2012) and with Bhandari Naqvi & Riaz (2008) now Haidermotabnr. She was Partner at Jus & Rem Attorneys & Corporate Counsellors (2013-2014) after which she was Managing Partner in Wyne Malik Law Consultants.
She has worked in corporate law (company formation, incorporation of documents, partnership deeds, MoUs, business contracts, service contracts, legal opinions etc.), NGO formation and registrations, IP laws, Service Laws, Arbitration, Child Rights and Social Enterprise formation laws.
She has worked with UNICEF as a Child Rights & Juvenile Justice Law Reform and Policy Consultant from 2013-2014.
Since 2017 to date, she has been invited to several high level policy dialogues as an international social enterprise lawyer and has contributed significantly to the development of the social enterprise movement in Pakistan and promoting startup small and medium businesses.
Clients include several business individuals, corporate entities, social enterprises, food entrepreneurs, NGOs, firms and companies.
Law, Policy & Academia Profile:
Ammara Farooq Malik founded the community platform ‘SEPLAA’ (Seeds of Education, Policy & Legal Awareness Association) in 2004. Since then she has Founded the SEPLAA Foundation & Think Tank (2008) and is also the CEO of the Seplaa Enterprises.
She has been the Law & Policy Program Development Coordinator at the Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) in 2008 and also set up the Metropolitan University of Law & Social Sciences in 2004 where she was a Partner and Academics Director. She taught LL.B to the University of London’s External Program to university students for 8 years in Pakistan producing students with world distinctions. She also taught MPhil students at the University of the Punjab and Business Law to ACCA students.
She remained an Executive Member, Head of Civil Society Group, Pak US Alumni Network under US State Department from 2015-2016 and 2016-2019. She was also the Election Commissioner for Lahore of Pakistan Software Houses Association (P@SHA) for IT & ITES Elections, 2013-2014 and Co-Convener of the Standing Committees on TQM and Professional Development at the Lahore Chamber of Commerce & Industries.
She is an award-winning international speaker and expert, having presented during various forums and conferences in New York, Washington, D.C., Minneapolis (USA), Duhok (Iraq), Istanbul (Turkey), Colombo (Sri Lanka), Male (Maldives), Nepal, Manila and Singapore on climate resilience, peacebuilding, social enterprise development and gap analysis of urban development and economic empowerment.
She is a published researcher and opinion writer with several articles published in The News, Dawn and Express Tribune. Presently she is working on two book projects on women empowerment and social enterprise development in Pakistan.
Other Memberships & Advisory Positions:
- Life Member, Lahore High Court Bar Association.
- Member, Punjab Bar Council.
- Advocate of the High Courts, Pakistan.
- Founder SEPLAA (Seeds of Education, Policy, Legal Awareness & Advocacy).
- Founder SEPLAA (Seeds of Education, Policy, Legal Awareness & Advocacy) Foundation & Think Tank.
- Managing Director, Impact Seplaa World Press.
- Co-Founder Sewegap Women Hub & Empowerment Program.
- Executive Board Member, Pak US Alumni Network.
- Member, Ad Hoc Strategic Committee, Upper Indus Basin Network (Nepal, Pakistan, Afghanistan, China, India, Norway and Australia). April 2018- to Jan. 2019.
- Former Co-Convener Standing Committee on TQM, Lahore Chamber of Commerce & Industries. (LCCI)
- Former Member, Standing Committee on Professional Development, L.C.C.I.
- Fellow, Social Enterprise Development Center (S.E.D.C.), Lahore University of Management Sciences (LUMS) Pakistan.
- Former Advisory Board Member of The Jurists (India).
Fluent in English, Urdu, Punjabi and have studied Italian, Arabic & French.
Skills & Expertise:
Negotiation, Mediation, Mergers & Acquisitions, Corporate Law, Social Enterprise Law, Constitutional Law.